this is already going on just over the state line in KY. Whitesburg, Neon and Letcher county will all be one school. They are building the school as we speak.
this is already going on just over the state line in KY. Whitesburg, Neon and Letcher county will all be one school. They are building the school as we speak.
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
Wasn't this mandated by the Commonwealth of Ky? I mean, it wasn't a local decision to consolidate over there was it?
......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......
come on people, consolidation doesn't mean that all hope is lost. it's not necessarily "schools being shut down".....it's new opportunities.
What strikes me odd some mention this as if it's nothing. And it seems as if even some on here have their own agenda. They ask questions and then have no answers.
Or they point to what this or that should be, makes me wonder if some don't just pop up, to kind of help those who are at bat?
Well im not rich myself. If Richmond wants to fund all of this. Then have at, but i dont' see them paying for it all.
So how many on here can afford to pay for this now. And in 5 yrs face more taxes for other county services?
Decal taxes just went from what 5 buck to 16.50? Hmm and gas prices are climbing. Yet no concerns?
And we will need a new landfill in probably less than that 5 yrs. plus CNW needs revamping. Oh well not a problem if Richmond is gonna pay for it.
First off, you gave a lot of questions there without answers, outside of saying Richmond paying [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
In seriousnes though, its an issue that affects all, not just Wise County, but Dickenson County, Scott County, Lee County, city of Norton, etc etc. Yes Wise is affected the most, clearly.
That being said, there is never going to be a money tree that just gives money away. There may never be a good time to just do it. It's the nature of people, politicians and government as a whole, if they have an extra million sitting around, most of the time it gets spent on something that has been a wish list item or such for awhile.
How many on here can afford to pay extra? Well thats an issue no matter if you get new schools, renovate or try to pretend there is no problem and just hope things stay status quo. Make no mistake, there is going to have to be a large sum of money borrowed, lent, receieved due to some quirk of the cosmos (flood relief as Dickenson is trying for) or something. Even if you don't consolidate, build new schools or anything, the old ones are still going to need major maintenance, so money is always gonna be an issue, the question becomes do you throw away money on something that isn't going to be that much better off, or do you try to take a bit hit now and spread the cost out over years and actually have gains.
If you drive a 1950 car, you know that you're driving on borrowed time. You can repair it, you can probably can keep it running, but it becomes a question of reliability, cost for items to keep it running. If its cost you a couple thousand dollars a year or more to keep it running, when do decide that you would have a greater benefit buyin you a new car that at least you can count on and might have some added features like air conditioning [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] There is no easy solution, and no matter how long you wait or how many meetings, how many committees and sub-committee and citizens groups and protests and petitions and such the issue doesnt disappear. Everything gets more expensive and the longer you wait, the greater the expense. We live in a world that costs tend to not fall, no matter how much Walmart tries to convince you otherwise.
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.
I just wonder how many will be in the work force to pay for all this?
Declining enrollment means what? Declining population. Wise County is becoming a retirement area.
Some think this is not serious?
Or think it will be ok? How? Who is to pay for it all. Those on fixed incomes, deciding whether to buy medicine or pay taxes, or can they spare $16.50 to avoid a $60 dollar fine to go get their medication, because they have no decal.
Some i wonder if they live in the real world.
Being modern is fine. But i like to look at a few other things. What is coming in versus's what's being paid out.
And projection wise. Wise County is in for a major overhaul in the next 5 yrs. I think anyone who pays attention to the papers can see that.
But who is to pay for it all? Those on fixed incomes? Or those moving away?
Remember decling enrollment means less of a job force. Even if you have the best education. Where you gonna use it at?
We have the promise of jobs. But i dont' rely on promises. Found out a long time ago. They can be broken just like any thing else.
Reality. We got a lot coming up. And no one taking a look at it all.
Like i said no leadership at the top. And at the top is where we have problems. No one is talking to each other.
Pointing out what they are looking at or what they need to do.
I'd like to see everyone in Wise County dealing with local government have to meet once a month to discuss issues. Some may be amazed at some's problems, and some may be amazed at how easy they could help each other. But that will never happen.
To much pride and ego's stand in the way.
I have no problem spending my money. I look at what i have vs. what i can afford. And if i can't afford it or it's a luxury i may never use. I don't purchase it.
But when i have to answer to others about spending their money.
Well i better have some good answers.
I not just talking off the top of my head. I've dealt with it. Funding and budgets. It's not a game and it's nothing to be taken lightly esp. when dealing with a county wide school system.
Problem is. Local and County government and other boards, need to work together for the good of Wise County and all.
As i said that will never happen. Because of pride and ego's.
The modern part isnt the key. The very same people who complain of fixed incomes are normally the ones who dont pay for the schools now or are the ones who are buying new cars every other month. Technically, everybody is on a fixed income. I mean I can't say hey I want to make a million dollars and it happen, I cant tell my boss I need an extra 30000 and they just give it to me. I do know and appreciate that there are some who are on a fixed income and barely can scrape by, but the sad part is that the very ones who will try to pay, the ones who really can't.
Right now, the schools are on borrowed money, I think 80% from the state, and that number isn't gonna be consistent, thats no matter if you have old schools or new schools. I'd rather get 80% now and try to prepare with building that aren't 50+ years old, than wait till the 80% is cut, and then try to figure out how to do it then when you have to.
What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it.
New opportunities is just one of the aspects that must be considered under any scenario and IMO it should be a major one. All we hear from national education groups & experts is how badly we are doing compared to other countries and that more rigorous math and science courses & requirements should be adopted. The new opportunities mentioned here would give our kids a better chance to be on equal footing with all those they will be competing with in their post-secondary education and eventually the job market.
Cost is a major factor, as well. Quite frankly, the longer you wait the more expensive any solution will become. Currently, the state is funding 80% of our schools operation and we've been told that it probably will not continue. I have no delusions that it will be easy to pay for what is needed, but I am will to bear my part of the burden IF I feel the APPROPRIATE SOLUTION is selected. What that appropriate solution is? I don't know right now because we don't have all the information available to be able to make the best informed decision. That is why I want the SB and administration to thoroughly investigate, study and plan before making any final decision. And, hopefully they will do a better job of informing us while the process is going forward.
We cannot wait around and pretend that our schools do not have major issues before them. They definitely do. Whether it be aging facilities, limited access to the best educational opportunities available, or simply finding the best way to "invest" in the futures of both our children and our county, it is our responsibility as parents, voters and citizens to open our minds (and perhaps our pocketbooks, if it is truely needed) and be willing to listen and learn so that we can be a part of the solution and not just a hinderance to progress. 'Cause as the man once said, "You can't stand in the way of progress." We can object, fuss, fight or whatever all we want, but if something isn't done in the near future, we may not have a voice in the decisions that will be made. And, that was what I was trying to get at in posing my question about the Letcher County consolidation that is going on now. I was told the their state Dept. of Education mandated the consolidation and they had no choice. I don't want us to wait around and fall into that situation. I want us to have a say in how our own futures will be written. I hope I am not alone with this concern.
......and I thought truth was universal. Silly me......
No one is waiting. No one is asking. The question is simple.
It's gonna happen at some point and time.
The $54 million dollar question is.
3 new state of the art schools or renovate 4 and close 2?
And how is it to all be paid for either option taken?
Ok. now let's hear the answers? I've given my views before and my input.
LPD, I've been saying the same thing for years. we have to work together. heck, my thesis at Virginia Tech was on improving intergovernmental cooperation in local government in Southwest Virginia. It was mainly concerned with helping folks get clean water in our area, but the point is the same. we have SO many people in office with their own agendas and not enough quality people willing to put up with the crap to run for office. it's a shame. everyone fights each other for scraps when if we worked together we might have a chance.
Bookmarks